To celebrate Vegan week on Bake Off, we’ve made this yummy millionaire’s shortbread. It is super easy to make, and a lot faster than making with the normal caramel filling. Deliciously sticky and moreish. Packed full of healthy fats and protein, these are a great vegan, healthier alternative to your favourite sugary snack!
For the base:
For the filling:
- 350g pitted Zeina dates
- 125ml almond milk
- 25ml maple syrup
- 150g coconut oil
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
For the topping:
- 100g vegan dark chocolate
- Food processor
- 20cm square cake tin
- Line and grease a 20cm square cake tin
- For the base, add the cashews and oats to a food processor and blend to crumbs. Add the dates and coconut oil, and blend again until a thick dough forms.
- Transfer to your tin, and use the back of a spoon to compact the mixture into an even layer that covers the base. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, simmer the dates, almond milk, maple syrup and coconut oil in a small saucepan. Boil for 2-3 minutes until the dates are really soft. Tip into the food processor, add the vanilla and salt and blend to a smooth puree.
- Pour over the base and spread to the sides of the tin. Chill for 20 minutes.
- For the chocolate topping: gently heat the vegan dark chocolate in a glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water until melted. Remove from the heat and pour over your other layers, smoothing over the top to ensure it is smooth. Chill for at least 3 hours.
- Cut into 16 squares to serve your delicious vegan dessert.
We hope you enjoyed our delicious and easy recipe for these Vegan Millionaire’s Shortbread! Show us your yummy creations on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #ZeinaFoods for a chance to be featured! And don’t forget to like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for more recipes and other fun content!