This recipe for Figgy Honey Christmas Cake is a slight twist on the traditional Christmas cake recipe. It uses lots of dried fruit making it very moist. The honey adds some natural sweetness to the cake, with the nuts adding texture. It is the perfect combination of fruits, nuts and spices.
This cake will keep for a month if it is wrapped and kept in an airtight container, so make it now before the Christmas rush and let the flavours mature! It can also be frozen if it is left undecorated.
We decorated ours using marzipan and royal icing for the classic Christmas cake feeling…with a Zeina twist! How will you decorate yours?
400g Zeina Raisins
150g Zeina Dried Apricots, roughly chopped
150g Zeina Golden Raisins
200g Zeina Dried Figs, roughly chopped
150g Zeina Dried Cranberries
100g Mixed Chopped Peel
300g Self Raising Flour
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1tsp Ground Nutmeg
250g Salted Butter
250g Soft Light Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tbsp Clear Honey
1 tbsp Black Treacle
4 Large Eggs
1 tbsp Milk
20cm Cake Tin
2 Large Bowls
- Heat the oven to 140o Line the cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, add the raisins, apricots, golden raisins, figs, cranberries, almonds, mixed peel, flour and spices. Add the zest of the lemon and stir through.
- In a separate bowl, add the butter and sugar. Mix together thoroughly to form a creamy consistency.
- Next add in the vanilla extract, honey, treacle, eggs and milk. The mixture will become quite runny.
- The flour and fruit mixture then needs to be added and mixed until everything is fully combined. The cake mixture can then be transferred to the cake tin. Once all the mixture is in, make a small dip in the middle using the back of the wooden spoon.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 3½ hours. To test if the cake is ready insert a skewer and if it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Leave the cake to cool in its tin. Once fully cooled the cake is ready to decorate…or eat!