it’s BBQ season!
So for today’s National Vegetarian Week recipe, we though we’d make a nutty burger that’s perfect for those summer BBQs! this burger is packed full of fibre and protein, and makes a great alternative to a traditional beef burger, not to mention that the bright pink colour of this burger makes it look even fancier!
- Frying Pan
- Wooden spoon
- Food Processor or blender
- Mixing bowl
- olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 300g beetroot
- 125g walnuts
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 400g drained chickpeas
- 150g black beans
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- roast the walnuts at 130°c for 20 minutes, then leave to cool
- Chop the onion and garlic and sauté in a frying pan
- grate or finely chop the beetroot and add to the pan along with the smoked paprika and walnuts
- leave the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then pulse in the food processor until it resembles the texture of ground meat, and place in a bowl
- add the chickpeas, black beans, salt and pepper to the food processor and blend until desired consistency is reached, add the chickpea mixture to the beetroot and walnut mixture and stir until mixed
- using your hands, make the mixture into burger shapes approximately 1 inch thick
- fry the burgers for 5 minutes on each side, until they have brownedThese burgers can be served hot or cold on burger buns with your favourite sauce (we love hummus with these!) and some salad
We hope you enjoyed our delicious and easy recipe for Walnut & Beetroot burgers! Show us your yummy creations on our facebook, twitter or instagram using the hashtag #ZeinaFoods for a chance to be featured! And don’t forget to like and follow us on facebook, twitter and instagram for more recipes and other fun content!