This nutty vegan chocolate cake is rich, moist and delicious. It’s perfect for birthdays, parties, or a leaving do! This years NPD placement student, Naomi, has made this cake as her final farewell for the staff pizza party on her last day.
The pistachio butter and maple syrup chocolate frosting can be used on other cakes (or just eaten STRAIGHT from the bowl).
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 200g plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 40g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 200ml almond milk
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g Zeina Pistachio Butter
For the Frosting:
- 150g Zeina Pistachio Butter
- 40g cocoa powder
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 6 tbsp almond milk
- 50g dairy-free margarine
- 50g icing sugar
- 50g Zeina Pistachio Kernels, chopped
- 50g vegan dark chocolate, shaved
- 2 x 20cm/8in cake tins
- Electric whisk
- Greaseproof paper
- Wire rack for cooling
- Palette knife
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C, or Gas 4. Grease and line the base of each cake tin with a circle of baking paper.
- Sift the flour, caster sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl.
- Measure the almond milk into a jug, add the cider vinegar and whisk to combine. Add the oil and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients, pour in the oil and milk mixture, add your Zeina Pistachio Butter and mix with your electric whisk to combine until smooth.
- Divide the cake mixture between your two tins and level with a knife.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cakes have risen and a skewer that is inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the tins for 3-4 minutes and then carefully turn out onto a wire rack and leave until cold.
- Now you can prepare the frosting. Tip all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Place one cake on a serving plate and spread the top with half of your frosting.
- Top with the second cake layer and spread the remaining frosting over the top, spreading it smoothly with the palette knife.
- Scatter with your roughly chopped Zeina Pistachio Kernels and dark chocolate shavings to serve.
We hope you enjoyed our recipe for these delicious Vegan Pistachio Butter Chocolate Cake! Show us your yummy creations on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #ZeinaFoods for a chance to be featured! And don’t forget to like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for more blog posts, recipes and other fun content!