Today is national sponge cake day!
Here at Zeina foods we’ve made our very own pistachio sponge cake with white chocolate and cardamom! Why not try making it yourself?
- 225g softened unsalted butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 100ml milk
- 50g raw pistachios
- 50g white chocolate or white chocolate chips
For the icing
- 150g white chocolate
- 150g softened unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- handheld or electric whisk
- wooden spoom
- mixing bowl
- 2 cake tins
- heat proof bowl
- Preheat the oven to 180°c, and line the 2 cake tins with baking paper.
2. Whisk the sugar and butter together until it forms a smooth mixture.
3. Add in the eggs one at a time.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, cardamom and milk, and whisk for another minute.
5. Finely chop the pistachio kernels and fold them into the mixture along with the white chocolate.
6. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
7. While the cake is in the oven, make the icing by placing the white chocolate into a heatproof bowl and setting it over a pan of steaming water.
8. Whisk the butter until it is smooth.
9. Add the cooled chocolate and vanilla extract to the butter, and whisk until light and fluffy.
10. When the sponges have cooled, remove them from the tins and spread half the icing on one, then place the second sponge on top and cover in the remaining icing.
11. Sprinkle with more pistachios, leave for 20 minutes to set the icing, and then enjoy!