how fancy does that sound?! wow your friends and family this Christmas (from 2 metres away) with this amazing vegetarian centre piece. the walnut & parmesan pastry is similar to a short crust, and can be used for so many other dishes like quiches and pies!
For the pastry
- 100g Zeina Walnuts
- 25g parmesan
- 200g plain flour
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp milk
For the filling
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 150ml double cream
- 150g caramelised onions (or you can make them yourself!)
- 100g goats cheese, plus 50g for crumbling on top
- 2 fresh or Zeina dried figs – optional
1. To make the pastry, add the flour, Zeina walnuts, parmesan and butter into a food processor and mix until it forms small crumbs
2. Add the egg and mix, adding the milk if the pastry looks a little dry
3. Roll the pastry out on a floured work top until it’s a slightly thinner than half a centimetre, add to a tart tin with a removable base and leave in the fridge for around 30 minutes
4. Preheat the oven to 180’c and blind bake for 20-25 minutes, then leave to cool while you make the filling
5. Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and cream together, stir in the caramelised onions and 100g of the goats cheese
5. Pour the mixture into the cooled pastry and crumble the rest of the goats cheese on top
6. bake at 180’c for 25 minutes, for some extra festive flair, take the tart out 10 minutes before it’s done and add some sliced fresh or Zeina dried figs on top. Enjoy hot or cold!
We hope you enjoyed our recipe for this delicious caramelised onion & goats cheese tart, show us your yummy creations on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #ZeinaFoods for a chance to be featured! And don’t forget to like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for more blog posts, recipes and other fun content!