it’s almost Halloween! did we mention already? To celebrate, we’ve made a delicious coffee & walnut cake and given it a spooky slimy Halloween twist. you could also do this to any cake (homemade or shop bought) to make your Halloween extra festive!
- 400g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 210g light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs (we always recommend free range or organic!)
- 200g self raising flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 100g chopped Zeina Walnuts
- 600g icing sugar
- 2 tsp black food colouring
- 1 tsp green food colouring
- 100ml water
1. Preheat the oven to 180’c and line 2 cake tins with greaseproof paper
2. mix the coffee with a small amount of boiling water and leave to cool
3. add the sugar and half of the butter to a bowl and whish until light and creamy
4. whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and slowly add to the butter and sugar while still whisking
5. fold in the flour, baking powder, chopped walnuts, coffee and half of the black food colouring and mix until the colour is even throughout
6. divide the mixture into the 2 tins and bake for 20-25 minutes
7. while the cake is cooling, mix the remaining butter and black food colouring with half the icing sugar
8. mix the rest of the icing sugar with the water and green food colouring
9. use half of the buttercream to sandwich the 2 cakes together, and spread the remaining around the sides and on the top to create an even layer
10. pour the green icing over the top of the cake so it covers the top and starts to drip down the sides, all that’s left now is to enjoy… if you dare!
We hope you enjoyed our recipe for this super spooky and slimy coffee and walnut cake, show us your yummy creations on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #ZeinaFoods for a chance to be featured! And don’t forget to like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for more blog posts, recipes and other fun content!