The lamb cake is a traditional Easter dessert in Poland and our Quality Assurance Assistant Monika brought in her tin for us to try! We have made a delicious chocolate and hazelnut cake and decorated it with lots and lots on mini marshmallows to give the lamb its desired wool affect! We think it has turned out brilliant….what do ewe think???
For the Cake
150g Plain Chocolate
175g Caster sugar
100g Zeina Hazelnuts, ground
100g Self-Raising Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
For the Decoration
280g Icing Sugar
1-2 tbsp Milk
Small pink and white marshmallows
Small Chocolate Buttons
Small Glass Bowl
Large Mixing Bowl
- Heat the oven to 180oC. Line your cake tin with greaseproof paper. Break up the chocolate and put it in the small glass bowl over a pan of gently boiling water to melt. Make sure you stir it a little to make sure it melts evenly. Put aside to cool slightly.
- In the large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar.
- Next you need to add in the eggs. The mixture may look slightly curdled but that is OK!
- Now stir in the chocolate and make sure thoroughly mixed through.
- Finally you need to stir though the hazelnuts, flour and baking powder.
- Once everything is combined put it into your lined cake tin and place in the oven for 50 minutes.
- Test to see if the cake is done by putting a knife through the middle. If it comes out clean the cake is ready. Leave to cool completely before decorating!
- Make the icing by mixing the butter and icing sugar together until light and fluffy. If it needs loosening add the milk slowly.
- Coat the entire cake with the butter icing and then attach the marshmallows!