This recipe, also known as panforte, is inspired by Anna Del Conte and is a great alternative for those of you who don’t like traditional Christmas cake or pudding. It still has a fruity kick with some orange zest, and is packed full of delicious Zeina nuts!
- 225g dark chocolate
- 5 eggs – separated
- the zest of 1 orange
- 25g softened butter
- 200g Zeina blanched hazelnuts
- 200g Zeina walnuts
- 50g Zeina pistachio kernels
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g golden caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180’c and grease your cake tin
2. Put the hazelnuts, walnuts and pistachios in a food blender along with the dark chocolate, mix until the texture is grainy but not too fine
3. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add the vanilla extract, sugar, butter and orange zest, then slowly add the egg yolks
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gently fold them into the mix and tranfer the mix to the cake tin
5. Bake in the oven for around 1 hour, adding greaseproof paper to the top if it starts to brown
6. This can be stored in the fridge once cooled for up to 2 weeks, and can even be frozen!
We hope you enjoyed our recipe for this delicious Italian chocolate Christmas nut cake, show us your yummy creations on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #ZeinaFoods for a chance to be featured! And don’t forget to like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for more blog posts, recipes and other fun content!