What could possibly make a classic sourdough loaf even better? nuts and cheese of course! this loaf is packed full of Zeina walnuts and pistachios, as well as some sharp mature cheddar that’s deliciously melted if you eat the bread warm. You can use any recipe to make the sourdough starter, we used this super simple recipe here, please bear in mind that you will need to make the starter at least a week before you want to make the bread if you don’t already have one. Our favourite way to eat this loaf is toasted and topped with some smashed avocado, feta and chilli flakes, or you could just eat it straight out of the oven with some butter!
To make this recipe vegan, just substitute the cheese for a plant based alternative
- 60g sourdough starter
- 500g strong bread flour
- 320ml warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g mature cheddar cheese
- 50g Zeina walnuts
- 50g Zeina pistachio kernels
1. Feed your sourdough starter with 40g strong bread flour and 40ml warm water, leave for 2-3 hours and then it is ready to use
2. Add the sourdough starter, salt, flour and water to a bowl and mix until combined, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to rise for 1 hour
3. Knead the dough for 2 minutes and then leave to rise for 1 hour, repeat this step once more
4. Knead the dough for 2 minutes, mix in the cheese, Zeina walnuts and Zeina pistachio kernels and then leave in a floured baking tin to rise overnight
5. Bake at 220’c for around 50 minutes, place on a wire rack to cool, and enjoy!
We hope you enjoyed our recipe for Cheddar, Walnut & Pistachio Sourdough Loaf, show us your yummy creations on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram by tagging us or using the hashtag #ZeinaFoods for a chance to be featured! And don’t forget to like and follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram for more blog posts, recipes and other fun content!